top of page

Match report:

VMFC1 v Bowler

Sunday 14 April 2013


VMFC's new kit proved to be a lucky one as the first team recovered from 2-1 down to defeat Bowler 3-2.


A couple of changes were required with Jay's injury and James Hardern's work schedule so in came Pete to defence and Ash to the forward line, with Tom moving into centre midfield and Paul out to wingback.


With a very strong wind behind them, Bowler looked to take advantage of the conditions with a long ball strategy but it was Village who started the brighter. On 15 minutes Goldsie beat his man on the right wing and delivered a fantastic cross to the six yard box which was met by the diving head of Sam to make it 1-0.


However, the tempo and passing seemed to drift away for the remainder of the half with Manchester becoming embroiled in a series of spats with the opposition midfield. Bowler took advantage on the half hour mark with a high ball causing confusion in the defence and their striker sneaked in behind to lob the ball over Jeremy for the equaliser.


There were opportunities for VMFC to go back ahead before half time, the best of which saw Ash's left foot effort cleared off the line, but the scoreline remained 1-1.


At half time Danny replaced Goldsie but the second half didn't really kick into gear for Village for some time as Bowler sought to attack more with a switch to a 4-3-3 formation. However, they were gifted a second goal on the hour mark when Pete played a perfect pass out to Danny on the right wing, quickly realised it was the Bowler winger and not Danny, and then chased back in vein as the opposition broke through and took full advantage of the mistake to go 2-1 ahead.


If luck hasn't always been on VMFC's side this season, it certainly was for the remainder of the game. After a clash of heads Bowler went down to ten men as they had no substitutes. This allowed Village to increase the pressure on their goal with Alex heading narrowly wide and Pete hitting the post from the edge of the area. Dan Shapiro replaced Ash with Tom moving up front.


The equaliser had more than a small amount of fortune as a defender was penalised for a rather innocuous push on Sam in the box and Tom hit a low penalty into the corner of the goal on 75 minutes.


Five minutes later Village had the game sewn up as good work from Danny and Alex saw Tom grab his second goal of the game with a simple finish from six yards.


The remainder of the game was relatively comfortable as Village took advantage of the extra man to keep the ball in the final third. However, there was a late yellow card for Dan as he slid in to prevent a counter attack.


Final score 3-2.


This was one of VMFC's less satisfactory displays of the season but the turnaround from 2-1 down should provide some positives. The passing and discipline will have to be better next weekend as we face high-flying Miam Miam Celtic while the second team travel down to Nottingham for a pre-Dublin friendly.


bottom of page