top of page

Match report:

VMFC1 v Deloitte

Sunday 15 September 2013


Village Manchester grabbed a last minute winner against Deloitte to register their first victory of the 2013/2014 season.


The starting lineup for the team's second game of the season saw one change with Sal replacing the Oscar-loving Orrock in defence whilst Harden took his place on the bench.


The forecasted gale force winds showed no signs of appearing as Village took on a team who finished two places above them in the league last season.


The first chance of the game fell to Deloitte as Ure lost possession in the Village half but the opposition striker's shot flew harmlessly wide - a trend that would continue throughout the first half.


It was Village, who drew their opening game of the season 1-1 against Sporting Manchester, who would have the best of the half as they created numerous chances - but ominously failed to take them.


Their first chance came in the sixth minute when Connell won a free kick which sailed wide from Reece's right foot. Langford and Connell quickly followed Reece's lead by steering chances wide.


The first clear cut chance of the game fell to Carter who met Reece's right wing cross with a header that was easily saved by the opposition keeper.


The right wing was providing a profitable outlet for Village as both Golds and Reece sent in searching balls that were either cleared by the defence or gathered comfortably by the impressive Deloitte keeper.


Captain Connell was in the referee's (bad) book when one of his tackles was met with a yellow card. And the midfielder nearly talked himself into further trouble before action got back underway.


The next 10 minutes saw a number of free kicks being given as the game became a bit disjointed. Sal's trip on a Deloitte forward went unpunished as the resulting free kick went high, wide and not at all handsome whilst at the other end Connell had a poke towards goal cleared off the line and the Deloitte keeper palmed a header from his own defender round the post. From the resulting corner Connell narrowly headed over.


Although the traffic was mainly one way, Village still had to be careful as Deloitte had a couple of sights of goal heading towards half time. However, these glimpses of goal were easily dealt with by the under-worked McAuley.


The first half ended on a promising note for Village with two good chances. The keeper pushed Golds' mis-hit shot from Carter's perfectly weighted pass wide whilst Carter shot straight at the keeper after waltzing through the Deloitte defence.


Halt time: 0-0


The half time team talk requested more of the same with the belief that a goal was on its way - all that was needed was an extra bit of bite up front.


However, it was Deloitte who started the second half better. Connell, who was walking a thin line with his protestations towards the referee, gave a free kick away which Deloitte wasted by trying to chip McAuley. They created a better chance in the 52nd minute when a fierce shot from an acute angle was saved well by the Village keeper.


This close call kicked Village into life as Langford had a shot deflected over and Carter had another header saved moments later.


The goal that the team was waiting for finally came in the 62nd minute when a first time cross from Golds from the right hand side found Langford in the area. The winger side stepped an attempted challenge and fired an unstoppable shot past the keeper's despairing dive. 1-0


Village had their tails up and had a number of great chances to extend their lead. Alex Wilson headed wide whilst the keeper denied Carter twice in the same move with his legs following great work from Alex and Langford.


However, the best of the chances fell to Golds in the 72nd minute when he blasted over following a rebound from Carter's shot.


Village made two subs with Harden and Jones replacing Sal and Reece respectively. The team continued to press to try and get the second goal that would kill off the game but there were warning signs as Deloitte searched for an equaliser. Following a weak penalty appeal, the opposition tested McAuley with a free kick that the player/manager tipped over. The resulting corner saw Deloitte hit the post.


Village did not heed this warning and with five minutes remaining Deloitte grabbed an equlaiser. A long throw was flicked on and three Deloitte players were loitering at the back post to apply the finish. 1-1


With time running out Village pushed men forward to get the winner that their performance deserved - and that winner came with one minute of normal time remaining! Harden cleverly beat his man and laid the ball off to Langford who played a delicious ball into the box. The cross was met by Jones whose looping header sailed over the keeper and nestled in the net at the far post. 2-1


There was still time for one last chance - and that chance fell to Deloitte as they won a corner with 10 seconds to go. The corner was well delivered and the ball was heading towards goal following a deflection off a Village player. Luckily Langford was in the right place at the right time to clear to ball off the line.


The sigh of relief as the ball traveled away from Village's goal coincided with the final whistle. In truth, it was a game that Village should have killed off way before Deloitte got their equaliser. It is promising though that numerous chances were created, the defence was solid and the way the team responded to the equaliser is to be commended.


Full time: VMFC1 2-1 Deloitte

bottom of page