top of page

Match report:

Manchester Club Football II v VMFC2

Sunday 3 November 2013


Village Manchester's second team went up against bottom of the league Manchester Club Football (MCF) hopeful of registering their first back-to-back league wins in over a season. Manager Matt Hall made it clear that this was a match where he was looking for the team to carry the threat from the get go and he was not disappointed.


Straight from the start Village surged forward into attack with Langford, Reece and Holmes all looking threatening supported by Feis-Bryce and Mahon who had been given license to go forward with Mullender dominating the midfield single-handed. After only a matter of minutes Langford broke down the left and put over a perfectly weighted cross for Holmes to flick into the top of the net. 0-1


Shortly after, Village's continued pressure won a corner which Jordan put over deep to the back post where McPherson not only rose to head the ball into the goal but on this occasion managed to score in the correct net! 0-2


The next goal came from a Begovic-esque clearance from Baker whose long punt sailed over the MCF defence. Jordan pounced, nipping in behind the centre backs and having the sharpness to knock the bouncing ball perfectly over the keeper's head and into the back of the net. 0-3


Feis-Bryce was able to add a fourth as the ball came loose to him following a melee in the area and his fine low drive ending up in the back of the net was no more than he deserved for an excellent 90 minutes of football. 0-4 The half ended with Langford getting in on the header show adding a fifth from a fine Tom Reece cross. 0-5


Half time: Manchester Club Football II 0-5 VMFC2


In the second half, as was to be expected, MCF came out of the blocks determined to salvage some pride and enjoyed a sustained spell of pressure. McPherson, Stevens and Findlay were able to comfortably cope with the threat however and the lack of any effective presence down MCF's left flank meant that Dornan was able to get forward and provide support for Edwards on the right. 


This freed up Edwards to cut inside and he utilised this freedom to good effect when in the course of trying to run on to a Holmes through ball, the MCF defender went straight through the back of him resulting in a penalty. There was a brief moment of uncertainty about who was claiming it and the writer could swear that he heard a distant American accent coming from the other end of pitch begging to take it. Having already bagged his brace however there was no doubt about who would end up claiming the kick and Langford stepped up, despatching it calmly into the goalkeeper's bottom right corner leaving the keeper despairingly diving to his left. 0-6


With Mullender having had to go off at half time following a stamp to his foot (no more raving for him for a bit!) Hall came into the middle and, after an initial spell of uncertainty, the midfield began to dominate the centre of the park once more. Again Village began to look like the more likely side to grab the next goal. This came about when Edwards, with another foray into the box, had the presence of mind to play the ball backwards to his manager who made no mistake, driving the ball home from just inside the area. 0-7


In the middle of all these goals, MCF grabbed a consolation as a cross was only partially cleared to an attacker. The striker picked his spot and made no mistake as he rifled home between a couple of players on the line.


Village continued to look dangerous in attack and Reece and Holmes drew good saves from the keeper after clever balls from Hall and Reeve respectively. MCF's afternoon was summed up when Holmes cannily spun off the keeper rather than attempting to play Dornan's incisive ball over the top and the keeper could only watch helplessly as it went past him to give Dornan his first goal in a VMFC shirt and leave Village to finish up 1-8 winners. 


Full time: Manchester Club Football II 1-8 VMFC2

bottom of page