top of page

Match report:

The Nelson v VMFC2

Sunday 23 November 2014


Village Manchester went down 3-1 to a strong The Nelson side as they put in a much improved performance at Wright Robinson on 23 November.


Following the previous week’s disappointing performance against Flash Gorton, Village made a couple of changes. In a 4-4-2 formation Toland replaced Crosby in goal whilst the back line had a familiar look with West, McPherson, Orrock and Kidd taking their place in the line-up. Golds and Cookson provided the width with Wain and Bracken charged with providing the defensive midfield duties. Holmes and Nelson were the partnership upfront. On the bench late call up Fairbrother joined Cole, Benn and Bridges.


The Nelson took charge of the first half as they played some decent football and made Village do quite a lot of chasing. The defence were dealing well with the pressure though and Wain, who put in a sterling performance in the game, put in a number of strong tackles to disrupt the opposition’s play. 


For Village to get anything out of the game they would need to defend from the front and the attacking four of Golds, Cookson, Holmes and Nelson put in lots of running to try and create some chances.


It was The Nelson who would open the scoring as a clever through ball saw their right winger latch onto the ball and slot the ball under the onrushing Toland. 1-0 


It was a bit of a sucker punch for Village who had defended well up until this stage but they didn’t let it get them down. Cole and Fairbrother came on and Village began to make inroads in the opposition half and their pressure soon paid off as Holmes was offered a gift of a chance. A ball through from Village’s midfield was just a bit too long and the opposition keeper came out to collect it with Holmes bearing down on him. The keeper seemed to have the ball under his control but inexplicabliy he dropped the ball at Holmes’ feet and the striker was not going to turn down such an opportunity as he knocked the ball into the net. 1-1


Half time soon came with Village hopeful that they would be able to put more points on the board.


Half time: The Nelson 1-1 Village Manchester


Despite being under the cosh for large periods of the first half Village could be happy with the way they kept the dangerous opposition at bay. 


However, The Nelson took the lead again 10 minutes into the second half and it was a lead that they would not relinquish. Their small striker evaded the presence of McPherson and stunningly overhead kicked a floated cross past Toland and into the back of the net. 2-1


The Nelson did have a few other chances to extend their lead but Toland was equal to them and was able to keep the club just one down. Village themselves started to look more dangerous but never really got the opportunity to test the keeper again.


The game started to get a bit feisty as The Nelson took exception to some strong - but fair - challenges and their tempers began to flair before the referee managed to calm things down.


The scoreline stayed 2-1 until the final couple of minutes when The Nelson added a third to finish off their strong performance. One of the strikers ran through and rounded Toland but with Orrock and McPherson covering the goal he elected to pass the ball across to the other striker and he smashed the ball home despite both defenders' best efforts. 3-1


The match may again have ended in defeat but there is reason to be optimistic as the performance was much more like what was required.


Full time: The Nelson 3-1 Village Manchester




Next matches:


Miam Miam Celtic v VMFC1

11am, Sunday 30 November

GM Police Sports & Social Club, Mauldeth Road West

Manchester Accountants League


VMFC2 v Gorton Community

4.15pm, Sunday 30 November

Wright Robinson College, Gorton

Manchester City Central League

bottom of page