top of page

Match report:

VMFC2 v Gorton Community

Sunday 30 November 2014


Village Manchester suffered a harsh 6-1 loss to Gorton Community as they faced them for the first time this season.


Toland took his position between the posts and a raft of injuries and withdrawals saw a change in formation to 3-5-2. Fish, McPherson and Kidd provided the backline in an unfamiliar formation with Fairbrother and Golds on the wings. Bracken, Wain and Reece provided the steel and creativity in midfield as Holmes partnered debutant Khan up front.


Player of the month West started on the bench due to an injury and Cookson joined him on the sidelines.


The game started off slow for both teams as they were trying to get the measure of each other. Gorton had a couple of early chances but Toland and the woodwork came to the rescue. The opposition opened the scoring 15 minutes in as a defence splitting pass saw a striker run through and finish past the onrushing Toland. 0-1


Like last week, Village didn’t let this affect them too much and again like last week they got an equaliser. After moving to a 4-4-2 formation, they produced some great work down their right, a ball was delivered in and Golds was in the right place at the right time as he applied a confident finish. 1-1


The team was hoping to build on this and they had a couple of one-on-ones but failed to really test the keeper out. Gorton were denied a goal from a great offside call as they carelessly passed the ball inside the six yard box with only one Village player behind the ball.


The strong and pacey opposition were not going to let this stop them as they overpowered Village to score three goals before half time to head into the break with a 4-1 lead. 


Half time: Village Manchester 1-4 Gorton Community


The scoreline was quite harsh on Village but it proved what happens when you are clinical and cut out mistakes. Cookson came on for the injured McPherson and the manager and his assistant, Toland, encouraged the players to keep showing the effort and desire they had in a tough first half.


After a confident opening to the second half Village again found themselves picking the ball out of the back of the net as Gorton extended their lead. 1-5


Gorton were denied another goal after they complained about a free kick not being awarded despite scoring. The referee, fed up with the opposition’s continuous complaining, used his knowledge of the rules to wipe the goal out and award a free kick, which they wasted. 


West came on for the final 20 minutes as Khan succumbed to an injury and McPherson came back on as Holmes was brought off.


And Gorton put the icing on their cake as they scored a cracker of a sixth goal as they brilliantly curled an unstoppable shot past Toland from the edge of the box. 1-6


The final whistle blew with Village being outclassed by a superior opposition.


The scoreline was very harsh on Village and the result didn’t reflect the strong performance the stretched team put in.


Despite the lack of positive results, the team can take heart that the performances are getting better and that if they keep putting in the effort then a win will be very close.


Full time: Village Manchester 1-6 Gorton Community




Next matches:


VMFC2 v East End Phoenix

12.30pm, Saturday 6 December


GFSN Cup quarter final



AFC Flixton v VMFC1

11am, Sunday 7 December

Valley Road, Urmston, Manchester M41 8RQ

Manchester Accountants League

bottom of page