top of page

Match report:

Audenshaw Athletic v VMFC2

Sunday 11 January 2015


Village Manchester Second Team was unable to make it two league wins in a row as they went down 2-0 to Audenshaw Athletic on 11 January.


The team was hoping to build on their morale boosting 9-3 victory over Cringle Athletic just before Christmas but they were undone by two first half goals.


With a high number of absentees, McPherson had to shuffle his pack and tinker with formations as he assembled a strong looking squad of 14. 


American Baker returned in goal following his injury lay off and his goal was protected by a back three of West, McPherson and Wain. Johnson and Van Khan were the wing backs with Reece, Leech and Golds forming the midfield. The strike force had a regular look to it with Nelson partnering Holmes up front. The bench had an unfamiliar look as Bridges was joined by Welshman Ranson and ex-player Feis-Bryce.


With a formation that the team have used sparingly over the season it took a little while for the team to settle into their shape. Once they did though they started to look stable and looked to build on that stability. Their efforts were being hampered by a very strong wind which was against them but they still worked admirably to get up the pitch.


It was the opposition who would open the scoring as they took advantage of some space behind the left wing back to advance on Baker's goal and dispatch the ball past the American. 1-0


They soon got their second as they headed home a corner which Baker came for and missed in the lights and which Van Khan was unable to keep out on the line. 2-0


The goal prompted Village to make a change as Feis-Bryce came on for Van Khan. Golds moved out to the left and Feis-Bryce joined Reece and Leech in the centre. The move had the desired effect as Golds was much freer to work his magic to get Village up the field. His skill and pace gained valuable yards for the team and Feis-Bryce's determined tackling kept the opposition at bay.


Half time: Audenshaw Athletic 2-0 Village Manchester


Village were urged to use the wind to their advantage in the second half and to have more shots at goal.


However, the second half started badly for Village as captain Holmes went over and damaged his ankle near the corner of the pitch. The injury was so severe that an ambulance was called and Village had to shuffle their pack with Van Khan replacing the stricken striker.


Village did their best to make sure that this unfortunate incident did not affect them too much and they put some good moves together. However, they were unable to really get past a stubborn defence and test the keeper with any shots that did make it through sailing wide.


Ranson came on for his first appearance in a Village shirt for a while and slotted in well. With pace but little strength in attack, McPherson went up front for the last 10 minutes. And it was he who had one of the best chances of the half as his half volley from 30 yards out from Reece's pass was dipping - but not quickly enough as it cleared the crossbar.


The game soon came to a close with Village unable to affect the scoreline.


Full time: Audenshaw Athletic 2-0 Village Manchester




Next matches:


Deloitte v VMFC1

11am, Sunday 18 January 2015

University playing fields, Wythenshawe

Manchester Accountants League


VMFC2 v New East Manchester

6.15pm, Sunday 18 January 2015

Wright Robinson College, Gorton

Manchester City Central League

The team prepares for the match

Holmesy prepares for an x-ray!

bottom of page