top of page

March 2017 reviewed

30 March 2017


It was an impressive month for the first team as they continued marching towards possible promotion in their first year in the Lancashire & Cheshire League pyramid with an unblemished record.  


First up were Deans Firsts on 4 March and after a goalless first half Mooney grabbed a brace, one from the penalty spot, to set them up well for the rest of the month. 


Bury Amateur Thirds were next up as they visited Wythenshawe and a goal apiece from Mbano and Thomas saw Village race into a two goal lead before Mooney was again assured from the spot to put the game out of reach for the opposition. 


Village travelled to St Thomas's Recreation Ground in Stockport on 18 March as they faced Hillgate in their third game of the month - and the muddiest of the year! Mooney continued his scoring form by grabbing the first of the match – this time from open play – and Wilson made sure of the points with a second. 


The final game of the month saw the team have their reverse league fixture against Deans First as they visited Ellesmere Park Playing Fields in Eccles. 


As in the first game the teams went into the break on equal footing – this time with one goal each thanks to Wilson's strike. And it looked like the game would end all square with both teams cancelling each other out. That was until Edwards popped up with minutes remaining to score to grab the victory, the three points and see Village take 12 points from 12 for the month.  


The second team had only one game in March and that game saw them travel down to the capital to face London Romans at the New River Sports Centre in the GFSN League. 


Due to a few late drop-outs the squad was at its bare minimum and this meant that new second team manager Alex West needed to shuffle his pack and play some players in new positions. 


The boys initially started well but a couple of quality finishes saw them go behind. By half-time the score was 6-0 – although Village should have opened their account with a penalty which Nelson unfortunately had saved. The scoreline was a reflection of how strong the opposition were, with a number of their attackers causing real problems. 


A positive and encouraging half time team-talk from Westy saw a much improved second half performance where the team were more rigid and structured and the defence continually caught the Romans attack offside. 


This much improved performance was rewarded with Robinson tucking away Baker's pass and the boys were good value for it. Village nearly held out without conceding in the second half - this was until the hosts took advantage of having a player more, as Bridges was off the pitch receiving medical treatment, to slot home their seventh and final goal. 


The second team conclude their GFSN League campaign with a home game against Birmingham Blaze on 9 April.


Words: Rob McPherson

Photos: Steve Joyce

bottom of page